Michael A. Ponterio is a founding partner of Lipsitz & Ponterio, LLC. Since 1985, Mr. Ponterio has represented families who have suffered injuries as a result of exposure to asbestos. He also practices in the areas of catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, defective products and motor vehicle accidents. Mr. Ponterio has dedicated his practice to securing justice for clients who have suffered catastrophic and life-changing injuries.
Mr. Ponterio has been representing people suffering from mesothelioma caused by asbestos for over 35 years. He obtained the first personal injury jury verdict in the State of New York for an asbestos victim (Racich v. Celotex Corp.) Mr. Ponterio also obtained the first punitive damage award for an asbestos worker in the State of New York (Racich v. Celotex Corp.) Mr. Ponterio and his law partner, John Ned Lipsitz, also received the first personal injury jury verdict in Buffalo, New York on behalf of an asbestos victim (Wolf v. Celotex Corp.)
In September 2011, Mr. Ponterio obtained the first jury verdict in Western New York on behalf of a lead-poisoned child.
In November 2013, Mr. Ponterio, together with Lipsitz & Ponterio Attorney Zachary J. Woods, obtained a verdict on behalf of a Rochester, New York child for injuries resulting from exposure to lead-based paint.
In July 2017, Mr. Ponterio obtained a $1.2 million jury verdict in a medical malpractice lawsuit against two doctors at the University of Rochester Medical Center for failing to timely diagnose a female client’s bowel perforation.
Since 1985, Mr. Ponterio has obtained over $500 million in settlements or verdicts on behalf of the firm’s clients.
Some of the highlights of the honors Mr. Ponterio has received as a result of his representation of injured workers reflects the following:
• Top-10 Asbestos/Mesothelioma NYS Attorney recognized by National Trial Lawyers Association;
• 2019 – National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys;
• Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters from 2011 to 2020 recognizing Mr. Ponterio’s excellence in the practice of law. Only 5% of the attorneys in Upstate New York are named Super Lawyers.
Mr. Ponterio resides in Clarence, New York with his wife Mary and their four daughters.
- American Association for Justice
- New York State Trial Lawyers’ Association
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Distinguished Justice Advocates – Top 1% Attorneys in America
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum – The Top Trial Lawyers in America® – see press release
- Accredited Attorney of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- National Business Institute