Lake Ontario Ordnance Works (LOOW)

The former Lake Ontario Ordnance Works (LOOW) is a 7,500 acre site located in the towns of Lewiston and Porter, New York.  In 1941, the Department of Defense (formerly Department of War) purchased land in Niagara County for the purpose of manufacturing trinitrotoluene (TNT). The LOOW manufactured nearly 42 million pounds of TNT in a […]

Read More

Worthington Pump

On April 20, 1916, Worthington Pump and Machinery Corporation was created out of the reorganization of the International Steam Pump Company. The International Steam Pump Company previously merged with five steam pump companies, including the Henry R. Worthington Company, the Blake & Knowles Steam Pump Works, the Deane Steam Pump Works and the Laidlaw Dunn […]

Read More

Xerox – Webster Plant

The Xerox Corporation is best known for its color and black and white copiers. In recent years, Xerox has evolved into providing printers, scanners and multifunction devices. Xerox also sells document management software and copier supplies, and it offers document management outsourcing services as well. Xerox was founded in Rochester, New York, in 1906 as […]

Read More

Working With or Around Asbestos at Kodak

The men and women who worked at Kodak Park were exposed to asbestos in numerous buildings and operations, including roll coating, silver recovery, plastic molding, paper manufacturing, paper sensitizing and the powerhouses. Asbestos also insulated the steam lines in every building throughout Kodak Park. Exposure to asbestos can cause mesothelioma or lung cancer. In recent […]

Read More

Carbola Chemical Company

In 1900, the St. Lawrence Talc Company began mining operations in Lewis County, New York, close to the Village of Natural Bridge. Located on New York State Route 3, the mine was originally intended to produce silver, but when only trace amounts of it were found, production shifted to talc. In 1916, the company was […]

Read More

Titanium Alloy Manufacturing

The Titanium Alloy Manufacturing Company (TAM) was founded in 1906,  by Dr. Auguste Rossi, William Meredith and Andrew Thompson. Located on Hyde Park Boulevard in Niagara Falls, New York, the company originally manufactured powdered ferrocarbon titanate (an additive used in the steelmaking process) and titanium dioxide (a pigment used in the manufacture of white paint). […]

Read More

Union Carbide

The Union Carbide Company was founded in Niagara Falls in 1898. At the time of its inception, Union Carbide was not only one of Niagara Falls’ first industrial firms, but it was also the nation’s largest producer of carbide products. Union Carbide occupied three major facilities in Western New York and employed roughly 5,000 people. […]

Read More

Linde Air Products Chandler Street Plant

Linde Air Products was founded in 1907, as the American subsidiary of German industrial gas manufacturer Linde AG. The original Linde plant was located on Chandler Street in Buffalo, New York. It was the first plant in the United States to manufacture liquid oxygen, and it also manufactured other industrial gases, such as acetylene, nitrogen […]

Read More

Union Carbide’s Plants

United States Bishop, California La Mesa, California Torrance, California Uravan, Colorado Alsip, Illinois East Chicago, Indiana Louisville, Kentucky Paducah, Kentucky Greensburg, Louisiana Hanhville, Louisiana Norco, Louisiana Taft, Louisiana Sault Saint Marie, Michigan Perth Amboy, New Jersey Niagara Falls, New York Tonawanda, New York Kitanning, Pennsylvania Peñuelas, Puerto Rico Cleveland, Ohio Marietta, Ohio Parma, Ohio Exeter, […]

Read More

Varcum a.k.a. Reichhold Chemical

In 1932, George E. Lewis, a former executive of the Carborundum Company, founded the Varcum Chemical Company. The Varcum plant is located on Packard Road in Niagara Falls, New York, and it is a manufacturer of raw phenolic resins used in the production of phenolic plastic. Phenolic plastic is utilized in a large percentage of all […]

Read More

Voplex Corporation

Voplex was a manufacturer of molded plastic products for automotive, locomotive and various other applications. The history of its Canandaigua plant can be traced back to 1958, when a company by the name of Leaming Industries, a manufacturer of record turntables for Stromberg-Carlson, moved its operations into a former pump manufacturing plant on Chapin Street in […]

Read More

West Valley Reprocessing Plant

The West Valley Reprocessing Plant is a nuclear facility located on 200 acres of land in the town of Ashford, New York. The plant reprocessed used nuclear fuel rods (a procedure which allows nuclear materials to be safely stored or destroyed). The plant operated from 1966 until 1977, and it included a nuclear fuel reprocessing […]

Read More

Western Electric

In 1947, the Western Electric Company established a plant on Kenmore Avenue in Tonawanda, New York. Curtiss-Wright, a manufacturer of aircraft, previously occupied this plant. Western Electric manufactured all switchboards, telephones and other equipment used within the AT&T system. Western Electric was a wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company (AT&T), which operated […]

Read More

Westinghouse Electric Corporation

In 1947, Westinghouse Electric Corporation opened its Motor and Industrial Controls division in Cheektowaga, New York. The plant was located on Genesee Street, adjacent to the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport. The plant was originally constructed and occupied by The Curtiss-Wright Company, a manufacturer of aircraft. Westinghouse Electric Corporation manufactured various types of industrial motors, switches and […]

Read More

St. Regis Paper

St. Regis Paper was established in 1899 by George Sherman and David Anderson. In 1901, construction of a mill in Deferiet, New York, was completed. The Village of Deferiet was also built by St. Regis to serve as a company town for the mill’s employees. During its peak production years in the mid-20th Century, the […]

Read More