University Hospital – Syracuse, New York

Constructed in 1965, University Hospital is a teaching and research hospital for the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical University. The hospital is located on East Adams Street in Syracuse, New York. Originally, Upstate Medical University was founded in 1834 as the Geneva Medical College, which was associated with Hobart College. In 1871, […]

Read More

Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo

Children’s Hospital, now Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, was conceptualized in the late 1880s when Dr. Mahlon Bainbridge Folwell began to vocalize his opinion that mingling ill children with adults was counterproductive to a child’s healthcare and recuperation. Dr. Folwell believed that hospitalized kids would recuperate faster and more completely if they were treated […]

Read More

St. Joseph’s Hospital, Syracuse

St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded in 1869 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph. Located on Prospect Avenue in Syracuse, New York, the hospital was originally a fifteen-bed facility housed in a converted saloon. As Syracuse’s population grew, St. Joseph’s Hospital underwent a series of expansions and renovations. The hospital currently has a 431-bed capacity, and […]

Read More

St. Mary’s Hospital, Rochester

Located on Genesee Street in Rochester, New York, St. Mary’s Hospital was established in 1857 by the Catholic Daughters of Charity. It was the first hospital established in Rochester, New York. In 1941, the current main building at St. Mary’s Hospital was constructed, and in 1985, a major expansion and renovation project was completed. St. […]

Read More

Strong Memorial Hospital

Strong Memorial Hospital was established in 1926, through funding provided by Kodak founder George Eastman and the heirs of former Kodak president Henry A. Strong. Owned and operated by the University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Hospital is part of the University of Rochester Medical Center. As a teaching hospital, Strong provides education and training to current and […]

Read More

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

The Roswell Park Cancer Institute was established in 1898 by Doctor Roswell Park under the patronage of the New York State Department of Health. Originally called the New York State Pathological Laboratory, it was the world’s first center for the study and treatment of cancer. In 1904, the institute administered the world’s first chemotherapy program, […]

Read More

Sisters of Charity Hospital

In 1848, the Sisters of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious order, established the first hospital in Buffalo, New York. Sisters of Charity Hospital was originally located on St. Louis Place, and in 1876, it moved to the corner of Main Street and Delavan Avenue. In 1948, Sisters Hospital relocated to its current location at the […]

Read More

Millard Fillmore Hospital

Millard Fillmore Hospital was founded in 1872, as the Buffalo Homeopathic Hospital. Originally located on Washington Street in Buffalo, New York, the hospital moved to a house on Cottage Street in 1874 in order to expand the number of patients it could treat. In 1911, a modern facility was constructed for the hospital on Gates […]

Read More

Mercy Hospital

The Sisters of Mercy, an order of Catholic nuns, founded Mercy Hospital in 1904. Located on Abbott Street in South Buffalo, it is one of Western New York’s largest and busiest hospitals. As demand for Mercy Hospital’s services have increased throughout the years, the hospital has completed numerous expansions and renovations. Prior to federal regulations […]

Read More

Lockport Memorial Hospital

Lockport Memorial Hospital was originally established as Lockport City Hospital in Lockport, New York, on July 1, 1908. The Ladies Hospital Aid Association raised $5,000 for the Hospital’s construction; the City of Lockport matched this amount. When the Hospital was first opened, it included 18 patient beds. As the community of Lockport grew, demands for […]

Read More

Kenmore Mercy Hospital

Kenmore Mercy Hospital was established in 1951 by the Sisters of Mercy, a Roman Catholic religious order. Located on Elmwood Avenue in Kenmore, New York, the hospital has 184 inpatient beds, and it offers emergency care, orthopedics and cardiology services. Kenmore Mercy Hospital is also one of the six designated stroke centers for Erie and […]

Read More

Gowanda State Hospital (Gowanda Psychiatric Center)

Gowanda State Hospital (Gowanda Psychiatric Center) was located in Collins, New York. The land was originally owned by Quakers, but in 1894, the State of New York took title to 500 acres of the property for construction of a State hospital for the insane. The first building, which is still in use by the Collins […]

Read More

Ellis Hospital

The hospital that became known as Ellis Hospital was originally established in 1885 as “The Schenectady Free Dispensary,” a two-story building on Union Street in Schenectady, New York. The five bed ward served as the Schenectady’s first medical facility. In 1893, a new 30-bed hospital opened on Jay Street and the dispensary was renamed Ellis […]

Read More

Erie County Medical Center

The hospital that became known as Erie County Medical Center (ECMC) was founded in 1905 as Municipal Hospital on East Ferry Street in Buffalo, New York. In 1918, the hospital moved to its present location on Grider Street, and it was renamed Buffalo City Hospital. The hospital was renamed again in 1939, when it became […]

Read More

DeGraff Memorial Hospital

DeGraff Memorial Hospital was founded in 1914 by LeGrand S. DeGraff. Located on Tremont Street in North Tonawanda, New York, it provides inpatient and outpatient medical services to residents of communities throughout Buffalo. Since its establishment, numerous expansions and renovations were completed. The hospital is currently operated by Kalieda Health, and it is a 70-bed […]

Read More