Roblin Steel

Roblin Steel was located on South Roberts Road in Dunkirk, New York. The 12-acre site was first developed in 1910 as part of a locomotive manufacturing company called American Locomotive Company (ALCO). ALCO used this site to manufacture process equipment consisting of heat exchangers, tunnel shields and steel pipes. During WWII, ALCO manufactured naval vessels, […]

Read More

SUNY Fredonia

Founded in 1826, the State University of New York College at Fredonia is one of the oldest campuses in the SUNY system, which is comprised of sixty four campuses. After the college was incorporated into the SUNY system in 1948, it began to rapidly increase in size. Located in Chautauqua County (southwest of Buffalo, New […]

Read More

Niagara Mohawk

In recent years, utility workers involved in the operation and maintenance of Niagara Mohawk Corporation powerhouses, now National Grid, have developed and died of mesothelioma, lung cancer and other asbestos-related diseases. Laborers who worked in the utility industry were at high risk for exposure to asbestos-containing products. Asbestos insulation lined steam pipes, boilers, pumps, turbine generators and […]

Read More

Dunkirk and Huntley Stations

The Dunkirk and Huntley Stations were once considered the largest steam generator plants in New York State. The Dunkirk station sits on the shore of Lake Erie, 55 miles southwest of Buffalo, in Dunkirk, New York. The Niagara Mohawk Corporation once owned this 600-megawatt plant consisting of four coal-fired units, including two 100-megawatt units that […]

Read More

Gowanda State Hospital (Gowanda Psychiatric Center)

Gowanda State Hospital (Gowanda Psychiatric Center) was located in Collins, New York. The land was originally owned by Quakers, but in 1894, the State of New York took title to 500 acres of the property for construction of a State hospital for the insane. The first building, which is still in use by the Collins […]

Read More

Allegheny-Ludlum Steel – Dunkirk

Allegheny-Ludlum Steel was initially established as the Atlas Crucible Steel Company in 1907. Located on Brigham Road in Dunkirk, New York, the steel plant manufactured wires, rods and bars from billets of stainless steel and other steel alloys. Atlas was acquired in 1929, by the Ludlum Steel and Spring Company. Beginning in the 1930s, Allegheny-Ludlum […]

Read More