Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo

Children’s Hospital, now Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, was conceptualized in the late 1880s when Dr. Mahlon Bainbridge Folwell began to vocalize his opinion that mingling ill children with adults was counterproductive to a child’s healthcare and recuperation. Dr. Folwell believed that hospitalized kids would recuperate faster and more completely if they were treated […]

Read More

Dulski Federal Building

Constructed in 1971, the Thaddeus J. Dulski Federal Office Building (The Dulski Building) was once the epicenter of the federal government’s presence in Western New York. Up until 2006, tenants of the Dulski Building included the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Department of Commerce, The U.S. […]

Read More

Thruway Plaza

Located in Cheektowaga, New York, the Thruway Plaza opened in 1952, and it was one of the earliest post-war shopping centers in the Buffalo region. The shopping center was originally built for $7 million dollars and consisted of 300,000 square feet. The Thruway Plaza was initially built as an open-air, strip style complex and included […]

Read More

Linde Air Products Chandler Street Plant

Linde Air Products was founded in 1907, as the American subsidiary of German industrial gas manufacturer Linde AG. The original Linde plant was located on Chandler Street in Buffalo, New York. It was the first plant in the United States to manufacture liquid oxygen, and it also manufactured other industrial gases, such as acetylene, nitrogen […]

Read More

Union Carbide’s Plants

United States Bishop, California La Mesa, California Torrance, California Uravan, Colorado Alsip, Illinois East Chicago, Indiana Louisville, Kentucky Paducah, Kentucky Greensburg, Louisiana Hanhville, Louisiana Norco, Louisiana Taft, Louisiana Sault Saint Marie, Michigan Perth Amboy, New Jersey Niagara Falls, New York Tonawanda, New York Kitanning, Pennsylvania Peñuelas, Puerto Rico Cleveland, Ohio Marietta, Ohio Parma, Ohio Exeter, […]

Read More

University at Buffalo

Founded in 1846, the State University of New York at Buffalo is the largest and most comprehensive campus in the SUNY system which is comprised of 64 campuses. The University at Buffalo consists of three campuses (North, South and Downtown Bioinformatics Campus). Opened in the early 1970s the University’s North Campus currently has more than […]

Read More

Standard Buffalo Foundry

The Standard Buffalo Foundry a.k.a. Standard Foundry Company was founded by William A. Griffin and Edmund B. McKenna in the early 1900s. The foundry was located at 743 Hertel Avenue in Buffalo, New York, and it employed approximately 500 workers. The Standard Buffalo Foundry manufactured iron castings for the automotive industry. The Standard Buffalo Foundry […]

Read More

Statler Towers

With 1,100 guest rooms, three restaurants, a ballroom and numerous meeting rooms, the Hotel Statler was once the largest hotel in Buffalo, New York. Constructed in 1923, by Ellsworth Statler, it featured more guest rooms than any other hotel in Buffalo. With eighteen stories, it was the second-tallest building in the city. Hilton Hotels purchased […]

Read More

Stauffer Chemical Company

The Stauffer Chemical Company was located on Old Lewiston Road in Lewiston, New York. The plant was originally constructed in 1916 as the Niagara Smelting Company and acquired by Stauffer Chemical in 1942. Stauffer Chemical initially manufactured aluminum, but shortly the purchase of the Old Lewiston Road facility, the company began to manufacture industrial chemicals, […]

Read More

Temple Beth Zion

Located at 805 Delaware Avenue in Buffalo, New York, Temple Beth Zion’s current sanctuary was constructed in 1967, replacing its earlier structure at 599 Delaware Avenue that burned to the ground. Temple Beth Zion is one of the oldest and largest Reform congregations in the United States. The temple was designed by renowned architect Max […]

Read More

Simonds Saw and Steel – aka Guterl Steel

The Simonds Saw and Steel facility in Lockport, New York, was established in 1911 to replace a previous facility in Chicago, Illinois. This move was undertaken in order to utilize hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls, and to allow for greater control over the quality of the steel used in their tools. In 1965, Simonds sold […]

Read More

Radiation Exposure at Simonds Saw and Steel

In the early 1940s, the United States government began a series of experiments, later known as the Manhattan Project, with the goal of manufacturing atomic weapons and power plants. After the end of World War II, the Atomic Energy Commission was created to establish civilian control over atomic energy development and weapons production. Several locations […]

Read More

Sisters of Charity Hospital

In 1848, the Sisters of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious order, established the first hospital in Buffalo, New York. Sisters of Charity Hospital was originally located on St. Louis Place, and in 1876, it moved to the corner of Main Street and Delavan Avenue. In 1948, Sisters Hospital relocated to its current location at the […]

Read More

Sorrento Cheese

The Sorrento Cheese Company was founded in 1947 by Louis Russo in Blasdell, New York. Russo was a native of Sorrento, Italy, and he established Sorrento Cheese in order to market traditional Italian cheeses to the rapidly growing Italian-American population. In 1960, the company moved to its present location on South Park Avenue in Buffalo. […]

Read More

South Buffalo Railway

The South Buffalo Railway Company was established in 1899, as a short-line railroad owned by the Lackawanna Steel Company, the predecessor to Bethlehem Steel. The railway also served other customers in Lackawanna, including Donner-Hanna Coke, Ford and Republic Steel. The South Buffalo Railway spanned over fifty miles of track in Western New York. Bethlehem Steel owned the South Buffalo Railway […]

Read More