- 2019 - 2012 - Selected as a Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters
- 2019 - Listed AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest peer review rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- 2016 & 2014 Legal Elite Honoree Business First of Buffalo, recognized by peers as one of Western New York's top attorneys
Publications:Mr. Lipsitz is the co-author of "The Treatment of Mesothelioma Cases in the American and United Kingdom Legal Systems," a chapter on the medico-legal considerations regarding mesothelioma included in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, published in 2006 by Oxford University Press.
John Ned Lipsitz is a founding partner of Lipsitz & Ponterio, LLC. He has represented workers suffering from industrial diseases, such as asbestosis and mesothelioma since 1985. Prior to 1985, Mr. Lipsitz instructed students at the Buffalo Law School in professional legal representation of consumer debtors, occupational safety and health law, constitutional rights and habeas corpus.
During his thirty-six years of legal practice, Mr. Lipsitz has represented clients in a wide variety of cases, including class actions to vindicate constitutional rights and to preserve lifetime health insurance for retirees, wrongful employment termination, negligent exposure to HIV infection, childhood lead poisoning, automobile accidents, medical malpractice, immigration law, construction accidents, workers' compensation, and claims of radiation induced cancers. Mr. Lipsitz represented the plaintiffs in the first chronic beryllium disease cases in New York State.
In addition to his trial experience, Mr. Lipsitz has briefed and argued numerous appeals before state and federal appellate courts and has handled hundreds of motions on significant legal issues in New York State trial courts.
Terwilliger, etc. v. Beazer East Inc., et al., 2019 WL 2424491; Suttner v. Crane Co., et al., 27 N.Y.3d 765 (2016); Billie v. Hedman Resources, Ltd., 274 A.D.2d 955 (2000); Chrabas v. A.P. Green Industries, Inc., 273 A.D.2d 863; Siemucha v. A.P. Green Industries, Inc., 267 A.D.2d 964; Jarzabek v. Johns-Manville Corp., 255 A.D.2d 947; Takacs v. Asbestospray Corp., 255 A.D.2d 1002; Mattingly v. AES Corp. et al., 291 A.D.2d 862 (4th Dept. 2002); l Scott v. Crystal Construction Corp., 1A.D.3d 992 (4th Dept. 2003); Tedesco v. A.P. Green Industries, Inc., 21 A.D.3d 1418, 801N.Y.S.2d 867 (4th Dept. 2005); Tedesco v. A.P. Green Industries, Inc., 8 N.Y.3d 243 (4th Dept. 2007); Clark v. Weinstein, 23 A.D.3d 1053 (4th Dept. 2005); Helmer v. Draksic, ---N.Y.S.2d----, 2007 WL 779612 (N.Y.A.D. 4th Dept.), 2007 N.Y. Slip Op. 02295; Campbell v. Aerospace Products Intern., 37 A.D.3d 1156 (4th Dept. 2007); Reynolds v. Amchem Products, Inc., 32 A.D.3d 1268 (4th Dept. 2006); Ackerman v. Asbestos Corporation, Ltd., 30 A.D.3d 1073 (4th Dept. 2006); Gibbs v. E.I. DuPont De Nemours & Co., Inc., 876 F.Supp. 475 (W.D.N.Y. 1995); Angela N. v. Suhr, 71 A.D.3d 1489, 897 N.Y.S.2d 279 (4th Dept. 2010); Larkin v. Rochester Housing Authority, 81 A.D.3d 1354, 916 N.Y.S.2d 694 (4th Dept. 2011); Mack v. Howard, 91 A.D.3d 1315 (4th Dept. 2012); Halford v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 161 F.R.D. 13 (W.D.N.Y. 1995); Connolly v. Hubert’s Service, Inc., 96 A.D.3d 1115, 947 N.Y.S.2d 187 (3rd Dept. 2012); Hamilton v. Picardo, 118 A.D.3d 1260 (4th Dept. 2014); Sanders v. Patrick, 94 A.D.3d 1514 (4th Dept. 2012); N.Y. Civil Liberties Union v. Erie County Sheriff’s Office, 47 Misc.3d 1201(A) (Sup Ct, Erie County 2015); Bi-Economy Market, Inc. v. Harleysville Ins. Co. of New York, 10 N.Y.3d 187 (2008); Beatty v. Davidson, 713 F.Supp.2d 167 (W.D.N.Y. 2010).
News & Insights
Mentions in the Mesothelioma Community
- Lipsitz & Ponterio, LLC is Proud to Support the First-Ever Day of GivingSeptember 25, 2019
- Have you been exposed to the dangers of coke ovens or e-cigarettes (vaping)? , August 28, 2019
- June 11, 2019
- Did you Work Around Asbestos? Senior Partner John Lipsitz Appears on AM Buffalo., May 22, 2019
- Buffalo Law Journal, February 12, 2018
- WKBW - AM Buffalo, October 13, 2017
- Buffalo Law Journal, October 12, 2017
- Appeals Court Upholds $3 Million Verdict in Asbestos CaseReprinted with permission from The Buffalo News. , July 10, 2016
- New York Law Journal, July 1, 2016
- June 30, 2016
- Opinion Editorial: Survivors of asbestos victims lose out as deal allows insurance companies to evade responsibilityThe Buffalo News, March 7, 2016
- Exposure at N. Tonawanda plant from decades ago mired in courtThe Buffalo News, March 4, 2016
- WNY Metro Group Papers, April 25, 2015
- Buffalo Challenger, July 31, 2012
- American Association of Trial Lawyers
- Western New York Regional Affiliate of New York State Trial Lawyers' Association
- Western New York Council on Occupational Safety and Health
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
- J.D., 1978, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School
- B.A., 1975, Yale University
- 1985 - United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- 1979 - New York State; Western District of New York