• Lead poisoning is a silent epidemic, especially in urban centers containing homes built prior to 1978.
  • Lead paint poisoning is the number one environmental health risk for young children.
  • Even if covered, lead paint can be a continuous hazard in all older homes.
  • Most children are poisoned by lead paint dust that gets on their hands and then gets into their mouths.
  • Some landlords ignore dangerous paint conditions, even when they know young children are present.
  • Children ages six and younger are especially at risk for lead poisoning.
  • Lead paint chips taste sweet to children.
  • Even one chip of heavily leaded paint can cause lead poisoning if swallowed.
  • Lead poisoning dramatically affects children's behavior and reduces their IQs.

Toddlers and young children often play on the floor and near windows or doors. The friction created by opening and closing doors causes old lead paint to deteriorate into airborne leaded dust, which subsequently lands on carpeting and floors. Children may then pick up toys covered in lead dust, which gets on their hands and ultimately into their mouths.

Exposure to lead can affect a child's development, behavior and intelligence, resulting in the need for early interventions, speech therapy, behavior therapy, and, frequently the need for special education services. Lead is a neurotoxin and even at relatively low exposure levels, the effects of lead are believed to be irreversible. Significant lead exposure can damage other body systems and cause physical problems in adulthood, such as poor kidney function and high blood pressure. Extreme lead exposure in childhood can be fatal, though fortunately such extreme exposures are rare.

If your child is or was ever found to have a lead reading in his or her bloodstream of 15 or higher, please contact us.