The Ticonderoga Pulp & Paper Company was established in 1882 in Ticonderoga, New York, by Clayton Delano. Over the next several decades, the company constructed several mills in the village in order to manufacture various types of paper, including newsprint, writing paper and packaging materials. There were six separate mills in Ticonderoga:
- “A” Mill – Near Lake George on Alexandria Avenue
- “B” Mill – Northwest of “A” Mill on Lord Howe Street
- “C” Mill – North of “B” Mill on Lord Howe Street, near the mouth of Trout Brook
- “D” Mill – East of “C” Mill on Lake George Avenue
- Island Mill (or “E” Mill) – East of “D” Mill on Champlain Avenue
- Lower Mill (or “F” Mill) – East of the Island Mill on Montcalm Street
In 1925, the Ticonderoga Pulp & Paper Company was acquired by the International Paper Company. For many years, the mills in Ticonderoga were among the most productive paper mills in the United States. By 1970, however, a combination of greater production needs and environmental concerns led International Paper to close its mills in the village and consolidate production in a new facility on Shore-Airport Road, four miles north of Ticonderoga. The older mills were demolished. The new mill is situated on 2169 acres of land, and it employs around 900 people. The mill produces around 850 tons of various grades of paper per year.
Prior to the mid to late 1970s, boilers and associated steam and water pipes at International Paper in Ticonderoga were covered with asbestos-containing pipe covering, insulating cement and block insulation. Asbestos-containing gaskets and packing material were also utilized within valves, pumps and flanges associated with steam and chemical lines. Inhaling dust and particles from the application and removal of asbestos-containing materials placed workers at risk for developing asbestos-related diseases, such as mesothelioma or lung cancer.
Steam was used during manufacturing processes, and it was also used to heat buildings throughout the facility. A network of pipes delivered steam to radiators and manufacturing equipment. Boilers, pumps, valves and pipes were covered in asbestos-containing insulation. Workers who performed maintenance within the steam system removed asbestos insulation in order to gain access to the equipment. When these procedures were completed, new insulation was applied. The process of removing and applying asbestos insulation to equipment in the steam system caused asbestos-containing dust to become airborne.
Asbestos-containing gaskets ensured a tight seal between flanges, pumps and valves, which were also utilized throughout steam, water and chemical lines. Asbestos-containing packing material was wrapped around pump shafts and valve stems in order to prevent fluid leaks. Gaskets and packing material were often replaced during maintenance on pumps and valves.
In the process of representing workers and their families, we have gathered a vast amount of information concerning the type and variety of asbestos-containing products to which our clients were exposed. Our clients understand the importance of securing legal representation as soon as possible after a diagnosis of mesothelioma or lung cancer. If you or a loved one were once employed at the International Paper Company mill in Ticonderoga, New York, and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or lung cancer, we urge you to contact us regarding your legal rights.