The Carborundum Company was incorporated in Monongahela, Pennsylvania, in 1891 by Dr. Edward G. Acheson. The rapidly growing industry of hydroelectric power drew Acheson and his company to Niagara Falls, New York, in 1895. At this time, Carborundum employed 35 individuals and that number grew to about 6,000 by 1944.
Carborundum has seen its days of mergers and acquisitions, beginning in 1977 when the Kennecott Corporation acquired its operating and manufacturing facilities. Kennecott Corporation was acquired by the Standard Oil Company in 1982, thus allowing Carborundum to become a subsidiary of the Standard Oil Company. In 1987, Carborundum merged into BP America, Inc., which is a subsidiary of British Petroleum. At this time, it ceased making grinding wheels. However, grinding wheels were still manufactured at the Logan, Ohio plant, which was sold by Carborundum to its employees in 1983 and has no association with Carborundum. In its heyday, the Carborundum Company was a tremendously sophisticated organization that had plants and distribution centers throughout the world.